Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chipper Jones is fuming... which could benefit the Dodgers

Interesting little article I found in the LA Times talking about the Chipper Jones situation in Atlanta. For a quick review, he's pretty pissed about the Braves not resigning John Smoltz, his longtime teammate. He's also not sure what direction the team is going considering they've missed out on other big names like Jake Peavy and Rafael Furcal.

He made this comment about the upcoming season:

"This is my last year under contract with Atlanta. And this last 24 hours certainly hasn’t gone unnoticed by me. I haven’t been offered an extension. If we’re 15 games out in July or August, I doubt they’re just going to let me become a free agent and get nothing in return."

So there you have it. Keep in mind that this is just all talk, and once some time passes by and other thing happen, he could totally change his tune. But at 37-years-old, the Braves might try to continue the youth movement by moving him and getting some value while they can. And the Dodgers could always use his bat.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm not sure where they'd put him. I mean, when he's healthy (a huge IF these days), he can flat out hit. There's always a spot for those guys. He plays 3rd base, but the Dodgers just signed Casey Blake to a 3-year deal, so it's hard to imagine benching him. Another option is 1st base where James Loney is now, but he's their future and is only getting better.

It's all just pure speculation at this point, so don't read too much into it. This is one of those rumors you can store away for a few months then revisit at some point.

No comments: