Friday, July 11, 2008

Mattingly to return as hitting coach

The Dodgers recently announced that Don Mattingly will take over the role of hitting coach after the All-Star break. The interim hitting coach, Mike Easler, will now become a roving hitting instructor in the organization.

I certainly don't think this move will hurt anyone, as Mattingly was obviously a great hitter in his day. But, I caution Dodger fans about how well this may or may not work out. I wouldn't expect him to work miracles. It's not like he can grab the bat and go up and hit the ball himself. Don't expect their numbers to all of a sudden skyrocket because he's back.

I guess I'm one of those believers that baseball players are harder to coach than other sports. In the other major sports, X's and O's can make a big difference. I'm baseball, everyone pitches and hits, and that's it. Do managers and coaches make an impact on winning? Yes. But is it as big as other sports? Not at all. And that's just how I feel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see him back, and can only hope he can help guys who really need it like Andruw Jones and Matt Kemp. It certainly can't hurt to have a great hitter like Mattingly giving them advice.

But please, don't sit back and wait for the hitting to be the best in the league once he's back. It'll still be an uphill battle.

No comments: