Friday, October 3, 2014

Lots of arms highlight Dodgers' NLDS roster

As the Dodgers get set for Game 1 of the NLDS, they have announced their roster for the five-game series on Friday afternoon.  With the middle relief a huge question mark, Don Mattingly has opted to go with more arms than usual.  Here it is:

Catchers (2)
A.J. Ellis
Drew Butera

Infielders (6)
Adrian Gonzalez
Dee Gordon
Hanley Ramirez
Juan Uribe
Justin Turner
Miguel Rojas

Outfielders (5)
Carl Crawford
Yasiel Puig
Matt Kemp
Scott Van Slyke
Andre Ethier

Starting Rotation (4)
Clayton Kershaw
Zack Greinke
Hyun-Jin Ryu
Dan Haren

Bullpen (8)
Kenley Jansen
J.P. Howell
Brian Wilson
Pedro Baez
Brandon League
Scott Elbert
Jamey Wright
Carlos Frias

Who's Left Out?
Chris Perez
Kevin Correia
Paco Rodriguez
Roberto Hernandez
Darwin Barney
Joc Pederson
Tim Federowicz

Analysis:
In my post where I guessed what the roster would be, I went with Barney and Paco over Elbert and Frias.  Like I said before, Mattingly opted to go for the extra arm, mostly because everyone but Jansen is such a question mark.  I can't argue with that.

I'm still a little surprised Barney didn't make the cut, but he gets victimized more by the shaky relief core than anything he did.  Had Wilson and Howell not stunk things up so much in September, then I doubt someone like Frias would've made the roster.  But the Dodgers are what they are, and that's a strong team with a mediocre bullpen at best.

And by the way, I read that Perez and Correia chose to go home instead of staying with the team.  I guess I can understand Correia splitting since he was a late addition to the team on a trade, but Perez has been there all along.  He sucked so bad, he can't possibly be surprised that he's not on the roster.

So in closing, to Perez I say good bye and good riddance!

No comments: