Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kuroda moves on to the Yankees

If signing Chris Capuano and Aaron Harang didn't make it official, this will: Hiroki Kuroda has agreed to join the Yankees with a one-year, $10 million deal. It's contingent on him passing a physical, which will happen soon.

That, my friends, ends the Kuroda Era in LA.

First, a look back at Kuroda's time in Dodger blue. He pitched four years, collecting 114 starts. His record was subpar at 41-46, but his numbers certainly were not. He finished with a 3.45 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and 523 strikeouts. Last season was his best one, as despite a 13-16 record, he had a career-best 202 innings, 3.07 ERA, and 161 strikeouts.

I have some mixed feelings on this one. I want to make clear that I am a big Kuroda fan, as he was quietly one of the best pitchers in the majors these last few years. But he was also one of the hottest names to be dealt at the trade deadline this past year, and he exercised his no-trade clause to stay. That was a noble gesture, as he loved pitching in LA, but when it came to resigning in the offseason, they couldn't afford him.

So instead of agreeing to ship off to a contender in the last year of his contract, he stays and denies the Dodgers a chance at a couple of prospects at least. I wasn't too crazy about that then, and I'm even less crazy about it now. What do the Dodgers have to show for his departure? Nothing, thanks to that damn no-trade clause.

Make no mistake, Kuroda will make the Yankees a better team, and he's a definite upgrade over the scrubs they've had in that rotation recently (along with Michael Pineda, who was also acquired). I do think, however, that he'll definitely miss pitching against the Padres and Giants when he's matched up with the Red Sox and Rays. Any pitcher would say that, but I'd be shocked it he puts up a low-3 ERA like he did last year. That's just reality.

In the end, I'm very appreciative for all of Kuroda's efforts the last four seasons. I am disappointed the Dodgers didn't get a chance to build for the future at the trade deadline, though. That does leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

No comments: